1 Tbs. oil
1/4 tsp. cumin seeds
One 8 oz. can of tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. tumeric
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
One 15-1/2 oz. can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1 large waxy potato, boiled and cut into 1/2" cubes; Yukon Gold works well
1 small (2-3") onion cut into tiny pieces
1 tsp. chaat masala ("choley seasoning")
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1. In a 10" skillet, heat the oil and add cumin seeds. Cook until golden brown (about 30-60 seconds), and add tomato sauce, salt pepper and tumeric.
2. Add chickpeas and 1/4 c. of water and cook 2 minutes.
3. Add potatoes, 1/2 of the onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add an additional 1/4 c. water if the sauce becomes too thick to coat the potatoes or begins to stick to the bottom of the pan.
4. Add 1 tsp. chaat masala and 1/4 cup of the cilantro, and cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Garnish with the remaining onion and cilantro and serve.
Makes 2-3 main dish or 4 side servings
Good to know
Choley is delicious served hot or at room temperature.
When served with a salad and some naan, it makes a complete (vegetarian or vegan, depending on the naan) meal.