1 pound chicken breast, organic if possible
1 red pepper
1 yellow, purple OR white onion
1 Tbs olive oil, divided
1-1/2 tsp chopped garlic (1 large or 2 small cloves if fresh)
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 lime (optional)
Some additional ingredients you may want for serving:
1. Place olive oil, garlic, cumin, chili powder and salt in medium glass bowl. Stir to form a paste.
2. Remove chicken from package and pat dry. Slice in 1/4" strips, and place in bowl.
3. Seed pepper and slice into 1/4" wide strips; cut onion into 1/8" wide slices and place both in bowl.
4. Stir contents of bowl so that ingredients are coated in the spice paste.
5. Heat 1/2 Tbs. oil in a cast iron (or heavy) skillet over high heat. Let oil get hot - it should shimmer.
6. Put 1/2 the mixture in the pan and stir fry - turning continuously - until the chicken is done. Remove to plate and keep warm; repeat process with remaining 1/2 Tbs. oil and remaining chicken mixture.
7. Return all of the fajitas to the skillet, squeeze juice of 1/2 lime over the top and serve, either with tortillas to make wraps or over lettuce as a salad as in the photo above.
Good to know
By adding only 1/2 the mixture to the skillet at a time, you are allowing the chicken to sear and form a tasty crust on the outside. If you put the entire recipe in a 10" skillet, the water from the chicken and veggies is more likely to steam them and then you miss out on the flavor created by the delicious crust!
In this recipe, the ingredients are cut to sizes that will allow them to cook at the same time. Another way to prepare this recipe is to leave the chicken whole and grill it and stir fry the veggies separately. If you grill the chicken, cut it into slices before serving.